Secure Share FAQ
Secure Share allows you to send and receive large files that you cannot
typically send or receive using Outlook. You can launch Secure Share in
your favorite web browser or you can launch it from Outlook once you have
installed the Secure Share plug-in for Microsoft Outlook. Secure Share
We have pushed the client to all non-sso Windows machines at all
hospitals. If you have not received the push, please contact the helpdesk
and they can push the client to you.
After you receive the push for the plug-in, you will see an Attach
Large File(s) Secure Share button added to your email Compose Message
toolbar. You will also see a Proofpoint tab in the Compose Message toolbar
that contains the same Attach Large File(s) Secure Share button and an
To send a file or files:
- Enter the email addresses for the participants.
Do not enter a mailing list. Mailing
lists are not supported.
- Enter a subject and compose your message.
- Click the Attach Large File(s) button and browse to the file you
want to share. Repeat for each file that you want to attach to this
- Click Send when you are done.
- Next, you will be presented with a Methodist SSO sign on page
which you must sign on to. Just use your same credentials that you use
to sign into your computer:
- You will now see progress status in the Outlook upload manager as
your files are uploaded to Secure Share. You will see status
indicators in the upload manager as the file progresses through the
- Once the files are uploaded, the email will be sent. You should
then see a pop up stating your files have been successfully shared.
Note: If you attach a file to an
email by using the Attach File icon (instead of the Attach Large
File(s) icon) your file may automatically trigger Secure Share if it
exceeds 25 mb
Once a plugin becomes available for Apple users, we will distribute.
Until then, please access secure share through any web browser on your
Apple device or computer. See next question for detailed steps.
Follow these steps to log in to Secure Share over the web in order to send
and receive large emails:
- Open any web browser and go to this site:
- You will then be prompted for your email address. Be sure to use
your @houstonmethodist.org address, not your @tmhs.org address, and
- The next screen will take you to the HMH login page. Here you will
put your normal Houston Methodist credentials in. The same credentials
you would use to log into any computer or webmail.
- Once you are signed in, you would click the green CREATE SHARE
button to start a new Secure Share to send an email with a large
- Now just drag and drop any large files into the green outlined box
to add files or you can click the link to browse to the file(s) in
order to add them.
- Once the files are added, in the Participants text box you can
type in the users email address or click the contact symbol to browse
the global address list to add them. Currently you cannot send to
distribution lists, you would need to add each users email address
- Once they are all added you can add a subject and type an actual
message to the user(s) in the message textbox at the bottom of the
- Once you are ready to send the Secure Share email, click the Done
button and an email will be sent to the participants inviting them to
the Secure Share. You will get notified once they have accessed the
The recipient will receive an email inviting them to a new Secure
Share. There will be a link for them to click on which will take them to
the Secure Share site. The first time they access this site they will need
to create a password. Their login ID will be their email address. Once
they are logged in, they will see all the files that you sent them. At
this point they will be able to download the files to their computer and
they will be able to upload files as well to this Secure Share.
Go to https://secureshare.proofpoint.com and enter your
@houstonmethodist.org email address:
You should then be presented with the sign on page for Houston
Methodist. Log in with your TMH credentials like you would use for your
computer login. Once you log in you should then see all your shares and
Yes. By simply dragging files into the green outlined box or clicking
within the box to browse to the files.
Yes. There are several notifications that are generated by Secure
- Registration confirmation – notifies you of a successful account
- Password reset – notifies you of a successful password reset.
- Participants receive a notification when you create a new Share that
includes at least one file.
- Participants receive a notification when
you create a new empty Share.
- Each participant receives a notification when a new participant joins the Share.
- Each participant receives a notification when a new file is added to an existing Share.
- You receive a notification when a participant downloads a file that you uploaded to
- You receive a notification if a file triggers a DLP violation and is blocked.
- You receive a notification when a file is released by the IT administrator and is no longer blocked.
- You receive a notification when a Share you created will expire in three days.
Yes. If you click on manage participants, you can add another person’s
email address. Hit invite button and they will be sent an email inviting
them to the share.
Two Gigabyte is the maximum files size that you can email to someone.
The files will be available for 30 days. After 30 days the files will